-
June 27th, 2002, 02:10 AM
#21
Senior Hostboard Member
I don't think general purpose film cleaners will be right for motion picture films because they lack a lubricant. This is essential to reduce the wear and tear of running the film through projection and editing equipment.
I'm going to have to stand with the Cement Splicing crowd. I'll certainly admit that a good cement splice is more trouble to make than a good tape splice, and a bad cement splice is more likely to fall apart than a bad tape splice (Especially in the short term). However, once you learn to do them well, cement splices are extremely strong, permanent and invisible on the screen.
I don't know if a really good tape splicer does this, but the cheapie I started out using cut the joined frames in half and joined them along this sweeping curve it made at the ends. It may be because I knew where the splices were, but I swear I could see those half frames on the screen. A glue splice eliminates the emulsion on one of the frames in the splice, so all you see is the other frame. If you do it well it is basically invisible.
Besides, all due respect to George Eastman and all but my old films (20+ years) spliced with presstapes are now coming apart, and I now need to put them on the editor, and resplice with cement.
-
June 27th, 2002, 09:36 AM
#22
eddie
Guest
hmm, good point.
I havent used cement splices, but my tape splicer does the same as this, cuts the film halfway through a frame.
the result is a brief horizontal flash at each cut (its very difficult to join them exactly especially when any mistakes are magnified by the projector).
Seems stupid, I ought to get a splicer that cuts the film between frames.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks